19 September 2010

Forgiven or Indifference?


and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us…  Luke 11:4 NLT

Long ago, there was an incredibly deep hurt.  Thanks to the Lord’s gracious gift of forgiving, and time, the wound is healed.  Thoughts are far removed from that dark time; it’s further away than a distant memory.  There is no longer pain, and speaking of it comes rather easily compared to when the hurt was an open, gaping hole.  It was the greatest hurt my heart endured.

This morning I wondered how I would respond if the offender would reappear in my life.  Would I be kind, caring, and hospitable; would I be able to show Christian love?  I believe that if the answer is anything other than a promptly spoken “yes” then true forgiveness has not yet occurred. 

A state of indifference is the lack of emotion.  No love, no hate.  Zero feeling.  Forgiveness means a clean slate.  Forgiveness allows love.  God is love. (1John4:7,8)  God requires forgiveness. (Mark 11:25) 

He is the source of my ability to forgive.  He alone makes it possible for me to promptly reply, “Yes, it is forgiven.”

The Lord is close to the broken hearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
Ps 34:18 NLT

The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
Psalm 145:8 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment